Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Food pantry

So I spent 6 hours today working at a food pantry at my church. It was actually some pretty hard work for a lot of it. Some pretty heavy lifting and such, and I probably worked some of the most of all the people there. I've worked food pickups before, but have never done distribution before. It was great seeing people's faces light up with every new item you put in their cart. You could tell that this was more than they were used to getting. I was also hnding out the Oreos and popcorn, and seeing the kids' smiles that they had junk food was amazing.

The thing that touched me most was when you gave people a little extra who needed it. Our old pastor was helping a family of 8, who would normally get the same food as a family of 5 due to the distribution rules. So we would give them the stuff, and he would say "did you get all 4?", to which they would say 'yes'. He would then grab one or two more items for her, since he knew they could use them. The appreciation that woman had was unbelievable.

My parole officer loves me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home