Sunday, August 28, 2005

Here and Now

One more day before classes begin. I don't know how busy I'll be this year, nor how things will be, but I do think I will enjoy myself much more here than in Midland. I seem to fit in much better here. I have something in common with everyone up here. I've found that I have to do without something for a long time to realise how much it means to me. I had forgotten how much fun I actually do have with the people up here, and how good of friends they are. My Midland friends are great too, but I could never spend enough time or never quite felt like a valued member of the group. In Midland I'm a drifter between social circles, in Houghton I am part of a group. I have yet to meet many people this year, but it's only been a week with no classes. Some of my expectations for the year have already been abandoned, but I still expect an enjoyable time.

I'm thinking about working as a ground keeper at the Dow Gardens next summer. It would be hard manual labor every day, but this is doable. A large paycheck and added physical strength are enough of a benefit to make a job like this worth my while. A group of us here are going to be working out together, so hopefully I'll be in shape come next summer.

I have these feelings that there are certain things I'm going to be called upon to do at some point in my life. First, to save somebodies life. I'm trained to handle most small emergencies, and I doubt God will let me go without utilizing that. Secondly, to take another man's life in a war. It's an odd feeling, but I can't shake this feeling that I will be needed in the military. Assuming it ever got to the point that I felt the U.S. needed me I would enlist to help the cause. This is the more unlikely of the two, but I'm still preparing myself just in case.

Until then, I'll be honing my musical skills, becoming the man I need to be, and looking for my place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home